“Remember that job you applied for? You still interested in that?” This was the words spoken over the phone very early in the morning of Jan. 16, 1978. Sally had been sleeping, The call jolted her awake. The questions left her in a momentary daze. “Yes, Sir” she finally was able to say. “Well, we would love to have you come join us” was the reply. Sally jumped up and down, called her parents, her sister, an old friend. Sally had already experienced her first launch to “Cloud Nine” due to her total excitement and joy. Almost immediately she was on TV, written about in the newspapers. (Pages 91, 92, Sally Ride, America’s first woman astronaut, written by Lynn Sherr). The chart for her t/Moon-opp-n/Sun Return is shown below.
This chart is cast for Jan. 5, 1978 and is a 3rd to 9th house Return, a most fitting chart for this event. The generic theme states, in part, ” Conflict between home and distant projects . . . information . . . means of travel . . . planning for a relocation, asking another for assistance. Making an effort to maintain contact with someone. Reaching out to an old friend or reestablishing a previously lost contact. A legal contract or recognition.”
t/Mercury opp. t/Jupiter on the vertical axis best represents the joyous news to be received several days after this return. Jumping from t/Mercury to n/Mercury, we find that planet squared by t/Mars; a challenge is embodied in words, or news of a challenge will be received. Jumping again, this time from t/Mars to n/Mars, we find n/Mars conjoining n/Sun, the signature of a “risk taker and adventurer.” This is amplified by n/Part of Fortune conjoining n/MC; Sally was always ready to face change and chance, the words that best describe the Part of Fortune.
We will now look at the Advanced chart for the day of that fateful phone call.
Note t/N.Node at the Ascendant. Direct contact by an associate (one whom one knows or will come to know as a new associate). This point in time seems ‘fated’ as t/Pluto-conjoins-n/Neptune; a dream becomes true. t/Moon (always a trigger for an event, even if not angular) conjoins n/Mercury; Sally will respond to a message or news.
t/Mercury and t/Part of Fortune span the IC angle; a new start or direction in life. n/Jupiter-Desc. points to good things coming from others. And, note n/Uranus-Asc at the charts MC angle. Some of us are born with “fated patterns” in our chart. Sally as several such patterns; Node-MC-PoF, Sun-Mars, Asc.-Uranus. When any of these natal patterns are activated in a Return or Advanced chart, bells start to ring, things happen. Sally was born to strive, take risks, be a leader.
- These charts highlight how key natal patterns such as conjunctions-squares-oppositions and/or angular planets can be triggered by the angles of cyclic charts or transits from other planets.
- t/Moon-to-n/Sun Returns and Advanced charts are not “just a form of transit charts.” Yes, they work closely with transits, but it is the reorientation of the house structure and the cycle’s angles that personalize these charts in a way that a simple transit-natal chart cannot.
- The “cycle” that is in operation here is that of the natal Sun being triggered by the transiting Moon. “Changes to one’s intended path or self-interests, and the re-balancing of ones life” is the focus of this particular cycle.
- The Part of Fortune is not used by many astrologers. In these cyclic charts, based on the Moon and Sun, and with the angles being so important — well, this charting methods demands that the PoF be included as a way of indicating how one may act, what personal-environmental changes will occur.
- One can easily, quickly, construct an astrological look-ahead-diary using this charting method.
I am in the final stages of producing my new book on this topic. Announcements are expected this summer. Dave