Rush Limbaugh natal chart Jan. 12, 1951 6:50 AM, CST Cape Giradeau, Missouri
MC = 6 Scorpio Asc. = 14 Cap.
What is most striking about this chart? (step #1) The Sun is rising in the first house—personal appearance is important, pride, being an authority and recognized as such, being very “out front”, personable. This Sun is closely sextile (60 degrees) the Moon deep into the 2nd house. This is a fortunate relationship as public support and approval is indicated along with a sense of poise and self-confidence. Sun also squares Neptune in the 9th house—this always points to a life-theme of grappling with truth (as others see it) and spinning the truth (as you see it). Here, finding the fine line relative to the big picture is the issue but may not be goal. In other words, playing loose with the facts is the tool to use and not the criteria for what one sees or says.
It may be opportune to look at the North Node in this chart since it conjoins the Moon and sextiles the Sun. Ebertin, in his Combination of Steallar Influences, views the Node as being associated with others on a personal or group level. This is the approach that I take in my chart work. Moon at its own nodal point is akin to being at the Aries point, feelings are expressed in a “rush”, enthusiasm and reaction tends to be immediate—all linked to a 2nd house (personal values). We can note, and correlate with his public persona, that Rush has deep personal values which he spontaneously expresses and projects upon others as being valid, obvious and appropriate to what ever he chooses to address.
What is angular in this chart? (step #2) Other than the Sun, we don’t see other closely angular planets (planets near the 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th house cusps). We do see Venus 20 degrees into the 1st house and Mars 38 degree into the 1st house. I would tend to give Venus a first-house placement—Venus adds to the “personality” and popularity factors. We can come back to Mars later.
What are the major planet patterns (aspect relationships)? (step #3). Keep in mind that computer generated charts may often present us us information in a manner that we don’t wish to use. In this case, Saturn opposes Moon—acceptable if you wish to use a ten-degree orb, which I don’t accept. I will list the major aspect patterns between planets that I see as important. I will also briefly note some character attributes for those patterns within Rush’s chart.
- Sun square Neptune, inconjunct Pluto: Unclear about the motives of others (Neptune, 9th) and how to effectively manipulate others (Pluto, 7th). Conversely, dramatic insights (Neptune, 9th) will effectively (sextile) serve to manage others (Pluto).
- Moon inconjunct Pluto, sextile Sun: One’s emotional needs (Moon, 2nd) have to accommodate (inconjunct) the mass appeal (Pluto) of topical issues of others (Moon and Node).
- Mars opposite Pluto: Personal power and energy (Mars) sometimes is at odds with the impact (Pluto) upon others. Extreme results can occur which surprises Rush.
- Venus trine Saturn: Rush’s appeal lies in the reasonable manner in which he couches his arguments—going from factual to what appeals to what transforms the views of others (Pluto, 7th).
- Jupiter trine Uranus and trine MC: Rush has an easy manner in how he gathers popular support, enlarges an issue, and presents it in a unique manner to excite others.
- Mercury square Saturn and opposite Uranus (a T-square): Arguments provide individual appeal to others due to the structured approach Limbaugh takes in making his case. Everything is stage play.
- Mars trine Neptune: Rush’s actions (Mars) to create his personal values (2nd, better than a 1st house consideration) is enhanced by a sense of drama and playing to the big picture.
Up to this point, no “signs” have been used. Only planet positions and interactions have been noted. Yet, we have a good idea of Rush Limbaugh’s sense of self-importancem how he dramatizes issues and projects his own values onto others using a standard sequence of statements (facts-association-twisted conclusion) to entertain and shape the opinions of others.
What happens when two natal times are sourced?
In the case of Rush Limbaugh there are two sources noted, either may be credible. We will now look at the “7:50 AM” chart version.
Rush Limbaugh’s natal chart set for 7:50 AM
This chart is the same as the prior chart except for the change in angles and houses and the one degree advance in the Moon’s zodiac position.
These small changes can be enough to change how we view the chart, the person the chart represents.
What is most striking about this chart? (step #1) The Ascendant is bracketed by Sun in the 12th and Venus in the 1st houses. Early-studies students often have strange views about the 12th house. Sun in the 12th is often associated with “sunshine” people, those who are always involved with others. There is no “institutional” personality at play here in a traditional sense, but more on that later. Sun in the 12th people tend to have a gift in understanding others, their view of life tends to link up well with the Moon-feelings of others. Venus in the 1st people always seem to be attractive to others either in terms of their good looks or because of the way they carry themselves. A taste in personal values and how they dress is often evident, although their lifestyle can convey their sense of taste and values rather than their appearance. These words describe Rush Limbaugh. The rising sign of Aquarius hasn’t been noted—how would it apply if we were to include signs in our analysis? Aquarius describes more the approach to his environment that Rush takes—he looks at the cultural big picture of life, in this case the political life that he sees around him. He acts according to his Ascendant and the angular planets, he operates within a social big-picture view of life. His attitude is pleasant, self promoting, larger then life, an authoritative presence. He finds himself within a large-issue cultural-political environment. Such is the difference between the Ascendant (personality) and the first house environment within which one chooses to operate.
Now we will look at how the planet-patterns will need to be restated due to the changes in chart location (houses).
- Sun square Neptune, inconjunct Pluto: Sensitive (Sun, 12th) to the perceived interests and values of others (Neptune, 8th), Rush just assumes he can manipulate situations for the benefit of others (Pluto, 7th) . Conversely, dramatic claims that provoke the values of others (Neptune, 8th) will effectively (sextile) serve to manipulate how others (Pluto) respond to him. Rush exerts great influence upon politicians, political party messaging and reputations.
- Moon inconjunct Pluto, sextile Sun: One’s emotional needs (Moon, 2nd) have to accommodate (inconjunct) the mass appeal (Pluto) of topical issues of others (Moon and Node). This remains similar to the earlier-time chart.
- Mars opposite Pluto: Personal power and energy (Mars) sometimes is at odds with the impact (Pluto) upon others. His personal words and actions (1st house) do not always result in the changes he expects from others (inconjunct). Extreme results can occur which surprises Rush.
- Venus trine Saturn: Rush’s appeal lies in the personal charm he applies (Venus, 1st) in which he frames his proposals (Saturn, 8th)—going from factual to what appeals to what he asks (sextile) of others (Pluto, 7th). “Pleasing a father figure” is often associated with this pattern—-Rush is the point-man for political followers, he proposes or offers a message, the political response is judged, the politicians rally around his proposals.
- Jupiter trine Uranus and trine MC: Rush has an easy manner in how he gathers popular support and applies it to those who claim to represent the common working man. This feeds into the next pattern.
- Mercury square Saturn and opposite Uranus (a T-square): This is a 12th-to-6th-square-8th pattern. Hopes and dreams become visions (12th) that others can work to fulfill (6th) only if shared values (8th) are given concrete support (Saturn) in terms of money and shared resources. This is the political engine of power; donations, support, supportive work by groups of individuals.
- Mars trine Neptune: Rush’s actions (Mars) to demonstrate his personal power (1st house) is enhanced (trine) by a sense of drama which places those with resources into a larger role in political life (9th).
One can read both of these charts and determine which appears to fit Rush’s personality and lifestyle better. As a radio-baseed political personality, Mercury, Uranus, first house, Sun, Moon and Pluto all play strong roles. Happy head scratching, Dave